Trip Type: Family / Any Season
To & From
An hour drive north of San Francisco. The most direct route is thru Nicasio to the town of Point Reyes station. If time isn’t an issue, then I would suggest taking the Stinson Beach route…a little curvy, but the views of the ocean are amazing.
eat & Drink
- Bovine Bakery (Point Reyes): amazing scones. Get there early- on the weekends the line is out the door.
- Stellina (Point Reyes): The best, local food- highly recommend. More formal than other spots.
- Salt Water (Inverness): Great oysters in the charming town of Inverness
- Marshall Store (Marshall): Our favorite place for oysters. Get a beer and sit on the side of the road staring out onto Tomales Bay. Quintessential West Marin.
- Coffee Stand in Tobys Feed Barn: the best coffee right in the feed barn. Make sure to take a peek inside Toby- cute shop.
- Cafe Reyes: Favorite pizza spot in town.
- Stand Up Paddleboard: There’s no better way to experience Tomales Bay.
- Kayak: Rent from Blue Waters, same spot as Stand Up Paddle board rental.
- Chicken Ranch Beach: the best beach for kiddos: Remember that it can get chilly, so pack a jacket.
- Hearts Desire Beach: Pack a picnic lunch and head to Hearts Desire. A little farther of a drive than Chicken Ranch, but perfect for the kids.
- Cowgirl Creamery: Watch the cheese being made. This is a perfect spot in Point Reyes to pick up fixings for a picnic.
- Farm Tour or Cooking Classes at The Fork: Gorgeous farm setting. Fun place to take cooking classes!
- Kehoe Beach: One of the only dog friendly beaches in West Marin. Beautiful beach to take a long walk. Often windy- perfect to fly a kite.
- Limantour Beach: Wide and amazing beach. A little bit of a drive, but worth it. Your family could spend all day here.
- Picnic at Hog Island Oyster: Get there early, fills up fast.
- Chimney Rock: Gorgeous hike, especially in the spring when the hills are filled with water flowers.
the inside scoop
- The Palace Market in Point Reyes has some of the world’s best soft serve ice cream. Go in the back to the deli to get the ice cream.
- Kehoe & Limantour Beaches are some of the only dog friendly beaches
- Chicken Ranch beach is the best for families
- BBQ your own oysters at Hog Island or go to Marshall Store for roadside beer and oysters cooked to order