more about Your Oliver Guide: Kate Ripple
Trip Type: Adult
Ideal Trip Length: 7-10 days (from West coast), 4-5 Days (from East Coast)
TO & FROM
From West Coast red eye flight via Charlotte...then onto St. Maarten...then puddle jumper on WinAir to SBH. REnt a jeep and explore!
- Rent a villa and pretend you live there. We have used Wimco and loved our villas.
- There is not "bad side" of the island, go with the best villa available. You want a view and a pool.
EAT & DRINK
- Dinner at Maya's
- Dinner at Bonito
- Cocktails or boozy lunch at Eden Rock
- Indulge at the Boulangerie on way to Pointe Milou
- Casual burger at Le Select (Cheeseburger in Paradise)
- Post Saline Beach drink and turtle viewing at Le Tamarin
- Hire a caterer and stay in one night, we used CHEF XO.
- Lunch and Swimming at Cheval Blanc
- Lobster at La Langouste
- Hike to Colombier
- Beach days at Isle de France and Saline
- Sunday afternoon party at Nikki Beach
- Sailboat trip with Miguel from Saint Barths Sailor
- Dress up in costume at Le Ti. A must.
- Dance on the tables at Bagatelle.
- SHOP in St. Jean (boutiques near Nikki Beach) and Gustavia (small chic boutiques).
- While the landing can cause your heart to skip, it's worth saving the time to fly vs. taking a ferry from St. Maarten.
- If you lose your US cell phone while on SBH, there is a mobile phone store in town. You can buy a new phone but they can only issue you only a local SBH phone number (unless you have your SIM card)!
- Less is more when it comes to packing. All you need are a few suits and cover-ups... and you'll want to shop!
- Learn some French before you go...you don't need to be fluent, but a little goes a long way. Locals are VERY friendly if you don't have an attitude!
- Island is too small...skip nothing!