More about your Oliver Guide: Katie Cranis
Trip Type: Family
IDEAL LENGTH OF TRIP: Long weekend to a week (but I could stay a month).
TO & FROM
SFO to PSP on United, Virgin America/Alaska Airlines. Rent a car for sure, as you are 45 minutes from the airport.
Or, looking for save money? Fly Southwest into Ontario and rent a car, but it is about 1.5 hour drive to La Quinta.
La Quinta Resort and Spa: Family friendly and dog friendly resort with 40 pools. La Quinta Resort leasing has some great options that allow full access to the resort. I personally love the Tennis Villas.
EAT & DRINK
Eating in La Quinta (and surrounding towns) is nothing like Palm Springs. You have to get used to the fact that most everything is located in a "strip mall." I think you loose a little ambiance this way. There are a few restaurants on the property: They are not the BEST, but they are good!
- Adobe Grill: Mexican. Great outdoor seating and a patio with live music. LARGE margaritas, a basket of chips and homemade table side guacamole. Do I need to go on? Perfect family spot
- Morgans: Classic steakhouse. Love the outside patio by the fire pit. This is a good spot for adults only dinner.
- Lousie's Pantry: Local breakfast "joint"
- Cliffhouse: Built into the side of a small mountain, good food and a great outside space.
- Lavender Bistro: In old town La Quinta. Nice outdoor patio (I have a thing for outside patio's...)
- Grab a Date Shake at Shields Date Garden
- The Nest... Local, I mean local, piano bar. This is for the adults only, and is about 10 minutes from La Quinta in Indian Wells. Tim will sing all your favorites Tuesday- Saturday.
- Shopping on El Paseo
- Farmers Market in old Town La Quinta: Sundays in October - May.
- Golf: Lots of local and close world class golf courses.
- Tennis: La Quinta Resort has clinics, 20 courts (clay and hard court) and some wonderful pros.
- The Living Desert: Great kids activity where they can feed a giraffe and ride a camel.
- Looking for a babysitter? Check out Desert Super Sitters.
- There are a lot more restaurants on El Paseo in Palm Desert- but it is a 20 minute drive.
- BNP Paribas Tennis Tournament: Early March and I have been going for 8 years. I know all the scoop if you are tennis fan, this is a must do!