More about your Oliver Guide: Kara Schwabauer
Trip Type: Family
Ideal Trip Length: 4-5 days
TO & FROM
- Red eye direct from Newark, United Airlines. We traveled with our little ones, 18 month old daughter and 3 1/2 year old son.
- While there, Uber or tube (my son loved the tube). Uber is so easy and inexpensive in Europe.
We stayed with friends in Chiswick, darling city in west London.
EAT & DRINK
- The Ledbury in Notting Hill. World’s 50 Best Restaurants 2017. Superb! Very fun and attentive staff, felt like we had known them forever! 6 or 8 course set menu, presentation was everything and beyond! Food was amazing, the oyster(s) were the best of the best!
- Beach Blanket Babylon in Notting Hill. Very cozy, good lighting, fun cocktails, try the Porn Star Martini.
- Blue Boat in west London, riverside. Upscale pub food, perfect for kids, good craft beers. Great views of the river and fun to walk around after.
- Shack Shake-Covent Garden, because burgers and fries are always a good idea!
- London Eye: Good way to see the city from above, you can get some great pictures. Buy tickets online, line is quick and efficient.
- Transport Museum of London (Covent Garden)-Best museum for little ones, especially those that love trains and buses. Very hands on, each child gets a map upon entering that they need to punch at various parts of the museum along the way.
- Diana Memorial Playground-huge pirate ship on sand with many nooks and crannies to explore inside. Very safe, only able to enter with a child, families everywhere, pack a picnic! Great slides and a water area on warmer days.
- We ended up buying my son a scooter on the first day in London and he used it everywhere, gave him a sense of freedom instead of being in a double stroller with his sister. Many kids his age and older are on scooters, so we felt a little bit like a local.
- When traveling with little kids plan one activity a day, otherwise it's too much pressure.
- Wander-we stopped at almost every playground we saw. Eat like a local-grab a cookie or croissant at the local bakeries.
We were limited because of small kids that still nap in the afternoon, but we had no expectations!