Machu Picchu, Peru
Drink a Pisco Sour (after the trek!), a delicious Peruvian cocktail.
- More about your oliver guide: Megan Harvey
- Trip type: Family, Mountains
- Activity level: high
- Ideal length of trip: 10 DAYS AT A MINIMUM
to & from
Any major US city to LIMA on Lantam Airlines. Star Peru for regional flights.
- We booked our trip through Carlos from Aventura Quechua who put together the perfect jungle + trek trip. He secured our Inca Trek permits in limited time (someone located in Peru must do this), provided an amazing guide (Juan) and crew for our private tented 4 day Inca Trail trek and arranged post trek transportation. He also planned our 3 day jungle excursion to Tambopata in the Peruvian Rainforest including ground transportation and accommodations in Cusco and Ollantaytambo.
- Inkaterra in Machu Picchu: A great spot to relax and have a well deserved Pisco Sour after the trek.
- Apu Lodge in Ollantaytambo (The Sacred Valley): A small, beautiful and basic lodge/guest house situated in Inca ruins and close to the town square. There are many amazing 5 star hotels located in the Sacred Valley but I was happy with our decision for the cultural immersion it provided.
- Tambopata Eco Lodge in the Peruvian Rainforest. Loved the journey by boat to this remote jungle lodge. The staff was friendly and helpful, food was fresh and delicious. The accommodations were basic, no light or electric outlets in our room but we did have hot water and mosquito nets. (There was a charging station for phones and electronics inside the main lodge.) Several excursions were included; a night time boat ride on the river, a fun walk in the jungle during the day.
eat and drink
- Explore the Peruvian Rainforest.
- Enjoy the Sacred Valley.
- Trek the Inca Trail.
- Drink a Pisco Sour (after the trek!), a delicious Peruvian cocktail.
- Explore Cusco, a city that sits at 11,000 feet.
- My husband and I took Diamox as we did not want to risk the effects of altitude, our children did fine without it.
- On the Inca Trail, we drank the cocoa tea to help with the potential of altitude sickness.
- Check the CDC website for vaccinations requirements. You will need the Yellow Fever vaccination.
- Peru is on Continental Time so no jet lag.
- READ - Turn Right at Machu Picchu: Rediscovering the Lost City One Step at a Time, by Mark Adams
- Day trip to Lima. Due to traffic, we spent most of the time in the car. If you are limited on time skip Lima as it takes a considerable amount of time to get in and out of the city from the airport.