Austin, Texas (Tory Wortham)
Austin is laid back, it has a chic + casual vibe and is usually warm (so dress accordingly!)
- More about your oliver guide: Tory Wortham
- Trip type: Adult, City
- Activity level: easy
- Ideal length of trip: 3 NIGHTS
to & from
Southwest & American Airlines have the most flights to and from Austin.
Where to Stay
- New Austin: W, Hotel Van Zandt, JW Marriott, Fairmont (Opening Aug 2017)
- Boutique Hotels: Hotel Ella, Hotel St. Cecilia, South Congress Hotel
- Old Austin: Driskill, Stephen F. Austin
Where to Eat and Drink
- Uchi or Uchiko – argued to be the best sushi in the US, trust the server to order for you
- 2nd Bar + Kitchen – yummy small plates to share, crafted cocktails
- Fonda San Miguel – amazing interior Mexican food, you feel like you are in Mexico City
- Hula Hut on Lake Austin – casual Mexican, don’t miss the chips and queso
- Perla’s Seafood and Oyster Bar – sit outside below the enormous oak trees
- Taco Deli – delicious breakfast & lunch tacos, not open for dinner
- Food Trucks – South Austin Trailer Park and Eatery, Picnic on Barton Springs
- Red Ash – Downtown classic Italian
- Kuneho – Paul Qui “Top Chef” new Japanese restaurant
- Jeffrey’s (refined dining) and Josephine House (more casual sister restaurant) – both are delicious, cozy atmosphere, higher end
- Franklin BBQ – if you are willing to wait an hour our two!
- East Side King Thai Kun – Thai inspired dishes, warning “mild” is still hot
- Launderette – neighborhood café, contemporary Mediterranean cuisine
What to Do
- Visit Zilker Botanical Garden. You could spend 1/2 day exploring the different gardens. Don't miss the incredible Japanese Gardens.
- See live music at the ACL Moody Theater.
- Shop on South Congress.
- Take a picture at the “I love you so much” mural.
- Hike Barton Creek Greenbelt (wear a swim suit- it is hot).
- Swim in Barton Springs Pool – it is a live spring fed pool that is 68 degrees all year around.
- If you are a history buff – Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum is fascinating.
- Tour the State Capitol – No reservation needed, it is free, the capitol is 15 feet taller than the National Capitol.
- UBER was kicked out of Austin, use Ride Austin or Fare instead
- Austin is laid back, it has a chic / casual vibe and is usually warm (so dress accordingly!)
Looking for more places to eat and drink? Check out local, Coti Woodhead’s guide here!
Looking for a tween’s take on Austin, check out Addie Leary’s guide here!
Austin, Texas (Tory Wortham) - Suggestions from the Oliver Community
Be sure to check out By George — amazing assortment of beautiful women’s clothing. And South Congress Cafe is a fun brunch spot.
To add a suggestion login or join