Bay Head, New Jersey
- More about your oliver guide: Lee Sadrian
- Trip type: Family, Beach
- Activity level: easy
- Ideal length of trip: Great for a weekend or a week
to & from
- If you are flying - Newark Airport is the closest.
- You can take a train from Penn Station. It is the last stop on NJ Transit.
Where to Stay
VRBO has weekly rentals or Keller Williams Realtors.
Where to Eat and Drink
- Charlies has great food and a liquor license. It also has a fun bar scene
- Surf Taco is fun for lunch or dinner with kids in Point Pleasant.
- Shore Fresh on Bridge Ave sells great seafood or you can stay and have lunch or dinner. The atmosphere is very casual but the food is good.
- If you are there for a week and want to leave town, Labrador Lounge is a great restaurant in the heart of Normandy Beach. It is also BYOB The Cuban corn is really good and they also have very fresh sushi
- Bay Head Cheese shop has amazing Cheese and wine. Get some to go and sit on the deck at the end of the street and take in the ocean.
- Theresea South has great food. I love the Tuna tartare and the eggplant pancakes are amazing. It is BYOB.
- Patio Bar in Point Pleasant is fun for after the beach.
What to Do
Riding a bike is the only way to get around town. There are bridges that you can ride your bike over to take you from town park or the public tennis courts.
- Pick up your beach badges before you hit the beach. The Bay Head Beach Association 532 Lake Ave Bay Head. (right next to the Mount Street foot bridge)
- Beach House Classic Board Shop does private surf Lessons. They also sell classic surf boards and cute t-shirts.
- Therapeutic Touch in Bay Head organizes Yoga on the beach (Howe Street) 8am Saturday and Sunday. There is also Fit Club on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturday with Roger ($12) They also do great massages.
- Crabbing off the bridge in town with Kids is quite an adventure. You will have to pick up a crabbing net and some type of food on a string to lure the crabs in. Raw chicken seems to be crabs favorite. Make sure your bait is well tied up. Also don't forget a bucket for all the crabs you catch
- The Jenkinson's Aquarium and boardwalk are worth going to with kids. Its actually a great thing to do on a cloudy day. Best to go right at noon when it opens. Also the Aquarium is small but actually has a lot to see.
- Waterlily is a fun clothing store and you can stop in at the Candy Cabana right next store after
Breakfast or a treat you have to stop into Muellers Bakery. Don’t forget to grab a number on weekends and you might have to wait…but the frosted crumb cake is to die for.
- If you go to Jenkins board walk with your kids go the hour before the free wrist bands. You pay more for the rides but there are no lines.
- Noon has great coffee. But can be slow.
Its a great biking town so rent a bike or bring your bikes down.
To add a suggestion login or join