Basque Country-Bilbao, Spain
Our last night we ate at Le Surfing where we were delighted by the tuna tartare and sushi and ate pasta and chicken skewers while mesmerized by the surfers until sunset at 9:30...
- More about your oliver guide: Honey Nachman
- Trip type: Adult, Beach, City
- Activity level: moderate
- Ideal length of trip: 1 WEEK
to & from
- Fly to Bilbao through Paris-- allow for a longer layover in case of flight delays.
Where to Stay
- BILBAO: Gran Hotel Domine- right a cross from the Guggenheim which was worth the visit--very cool interior and exterior.
Where to Eat and Drink
- In Bilbao (and the entire Basque region) you must have pintxos – the little bites to eat early before dinner as you grab a rosado (rose) or tinto (red wine) or beer.
- Café Bar Bilbao in Plaza Nueva Bilbao, El Globo, El Viejo Zortzi and Gure Toki were our favorites.
- The entire Casco Viejo neighborhood has a bunch. It’s fun to stroll from one to the next trying the different options. Most places, you get a plate and help yourself and they charge you by the toothpick -it's a bit intimidating when it is crowded and your Spanish is far from fluent.
What to Do
- Between San Sebastian and Bilbao there is a beautiful hike along the Coastal Flysch Route but very hard to find the starting point so we would recommend getting a guide. Look at THIS for more information.
- If you want more structure, friends have done and recommended a similar trip through Backroads.
To add a suggestion login or join