It is a magical place with a beautiful way of life!
- More about your oliver guide: Megan Escher
- Trip type: Family, City
- Activity level: moderate
- Ideal length of trip: 4-5 Days
to & from
Norwegian Air has great prices and flies direct from Oakland
Where to Stay
Many options depending on what area and level of lodging you would like. We stayed at Urban House – which is one of those high end hostel/hotel combination. Our room was teeny tiny, but was modern touches in a classic building. We loved the view of the architecture around us. Urban House is a 3 minute walk from the Central Station (which runs trains directly to/from CPH) and a 5 minute walk from Tivoli Gardens.
Where to Eat and Drink
Copenhagen has an amazing food scene. We were on a mother daughter adventure so kept it pretty causal. From on the go to fine dining you will find something delightful to taste.
- My favorite meal of the Summer. It is located in the old Meatpacking district, walkable from our hotel, which has so many choices for great food.
- They have fabulous Food Halls – perfect for family travel where everyone can get what they would like in a lively atmosphere. We liked Tivoli and Torvehallerne. We would have loved to check out Reffen or Elsinore, but we ran out of time.
- Mad + Koffe is great for breakfast or lunch
What to Do
Copenhagen is an amazing city to wander. Beautiful gardens, Palaces in plain view. The bike and walking paths are very well marked. There are also fantastic public playgrounds in every direction.
- Louisiana Art Museum: Book a day to take the 30 minute train north and then walk 15 minutes to this Fantastic Space. We loved the art installations, the location right on the sea, and the absolute best Children
- If you are with children, booking a full day for Tivoli gardens is a must. Definitely book online at least two days in advance to skip the entry line and get the unlimited bracelet. You will casually be asked to leave your handbag on the side rail of a ride or in open cubbies, so pack light and don't bring anything to valuable. It is such fun. In the summer they stay open until 11 pm. We went most every night until close, even if we had spent the day exploring other areas. They have some restaurant options , if your children are older enough to explore on their own and you want a break from the rides, make Gemsye (beautiful garden space with delicious food and wine) a meeting place.
- Royal Palaces / Garden
- Little Mermaid - Super Super Touristy, but if you are in the area, fun to walk by and get a snapshot, would not make a detour
- Sweden - You can day trip to Sweden by boat or by train. We took the train - and had lunch in Malmo and explored for an afternoon. It was a very quick outing and we preferred Copenhagen, but had a great lunch at Ab Smaland (also a beautiful home boutique) & a great juice at Raw Food Co. (TAKE YOUR PASSPORT!)
- Danish National Ballet - One of the world's best!
What to Pack
It’s a very stylish city. Have fun with it. Don’t be afraid to wear dresses EVERYWHERE (including Tivoli gardens!)