Havana, Cuba (Megan Harvey)
My mojito in the Bodeguita del Medio and my daiquiri in the Floridita
- More about your oliver guide: Megan Harvey
- Trip type: Family, Beach, City
- Activity level: moderate
- Ideal length of trip: A LONG WEEKEND TO 2 WEEKS. JUST GO SEE HAVANA BEFORE IT CHANGES TOO MUCH!
to & from
We flew via Mexico City on Areo Mexico.
We rented a great airbnb apartment in Old Havana in Plaza Vjejo. We stayed at a Casa Particular in Vinales.
eat and drink
Eating at any paladares (privately owned restaurants as opposed to the government owned restaurants of the past) in Havana. We also loved the food in our Casa Particular in Vinales.
- Explore Havana
- Take a horse carriage tour of the city-- kids were enthralled with the street performers, the old cars, the music and the people watching.
- Taking a ride in an old convertible along the Malecón
- Visit the old haunts of Hemingway
- Walk along the Malecón
- Visit the Hotel Nacional
- Talk about the history of Cuba with your kids. This is an opportunity for everyone to learn a lot.
MONEY– Bring all of your cash money in clean crisp USD. You cannot use credit cards or ATMs. You carry ALL of your cash and this can be a little stressful. Try to pre pay for anything you can. Prices are going up as tourism increases so make sure you have more than enough.
Don’t come to Cuba for five star service and accommodations. Go to Cuba to see Havana and the countryside. Save the Caribbean vacation for another island.