It's so soul-filling, you'll want to make it an annual trip!
- More about your oliver guide: Bonnie Powers
- Trip type: Adult, Family, Group getaway, Solo, Mountains
- Activity level: moderate
- Ideal length of trip: 5 days for Glamping... maybe more to explore Glacier National Park!
to & from
We flew from Oakland to Glacier Park International Airport (Kalispell) on Allegiant Air. We were told by Tobacco River Ranch and a few friends how great this airline is. Did some research, and found that in more recent years they’re elevated their planes. They only fly at certain times of the year, into small airports, and only on certain days and with limited flights each day. We were able to fly direct to Kalispell (vs the other airlines which had stops). Allegiant has very inexpensive prices and as you add bundles, it goes up from there. It depends on your needs and what you care about most.
- One challenge to be aware of is rental car availability and pricing, which has been impacted by Covid supply chain.
Where to Stay
Watch our videos from the recent trip we took in reels on our Insta account @poetandthebench
- Tobacco River Ranch Glamping have lovingly restored old logger cabins, look out cabins and forest service cabins; have built new structures and have renovated Airstreams. They each have character, with frontier art and other well appointed details. It was perfectly clean when we arrived. The brand new A-frame is right on the Tobacco River. That section of glamping also has a small kitchen in a dedicated trailer and a porta-potty bathroom.
- There is a gorgeous community kitchen with bathroom and shower and very up to date appliances--stove, fridge, espresso machine
- You can rent the entire property for a group or family vacation. If you do this, there's also a sleeping loft in the community kitchen
- You can also rent the property for weddings!!
Where to Eat and Drink
For glamping, you’ll shop in Whitefish, at the recommended The Farmer’s Stand. This super cute place is for specialty food items. They had plenty of gluten free products, cacao (sip some while gazing at the river!), excellent olive oils and vinegars, and other healthy treats; we also got the most delicious trout sandwich there for our drive to Eureka. https://thefarmersstand.com/ In the same complex, is a Super 1 grocery store with a large organic section and other necessities. We bought alcohol at Whitefish Liquor Store.
- Nikki brings eggs from her chickens to the community kitchen so you don't need to buy eggs... Wow they were sooo tasty!
- There aren't that many options for eating out in Eureka. The small town of Eureka has some places but you can also venture out.
- There are great options in Whitefish such as the Wich Haus for eat-in outside or take out (OMG their smoked beets!) and Jalisco Cantina for pretty fresh, satisfying Mexican food. We were also recommended to go to Whitefish Lake Restaurant on the water but we never made it
What to Do
There are so many low to high octane adventure options from Kalispell to Eureka and in Glacier. Check out:
- Glacier National Park
- Flathead Lake
- Lake McDonald
- Kootenai Falls and Swinging Bridge at the Libby Dam area (about and hour 15 away from Tobacco River Ranch Glamping)
- Rails to Trails biking/walking (you can start at Tobacco River Ranch Glamping)
- Bring your passport and check out places in Canada, which is an hour drive north of Eureka. We were told Fernie is pretty cute but we never made it.
- Other activity suggestions (rock climbing, golf, etc) from Tobacco River Ranch.
Ask Nikki about the secret waterfall!
What to Pack
This is a chance to get casual and dip into nature. Check weather and bring layers. It was cool at night and hot in the day. Chance for rain never happened. But if you have a waterproof or rain jacket, you might pack it! Think about a small bag for essentials that you’ll use at the community kitchen bathroom/shower, including flip flops to shower in. You might pack or buy bear spray if you’ll be adventuring along the way.
Reminder that the cabins don’t have bathrooms or electricity–Nikki has outfitted them with lanterns and there’s beautiful moonlight for an outdoor pee at night. 😉