Great Barrier Reef, Australia
Boat trip (or helicopter) to Whitsunday National Park is a must to see the whitest sand on earth.
- More about your oliver guide: Alex Jennings
- Trip type: Family, Beach
- Activity level: moderate
to & from
Virgin Australia from Sydney to Hamilton Island (2 hr flight). There are no cars on Hamilton Island, only golf carts. Most villas come with their own carts. We left half of our things in Sydney because there is a weight limit on the island flights.
Where to Stay
- We rented a villa which is preferable than staying at one of the hotels. Ours was in the “Edge” building and we loved it. The Yacht Club Villas are also nice.
Where to Eat and Drink
The dining options in Hamilton Island are somewhat limited. There is a little general store to get dinner supplies for your villa. The two restaurants I would recommend are:
What to Do
- Snorkeling and Diving of course!
- Boat trip (or helicopter) to Whitsunday National Park is a must to see the whitest sand on earth.
- Sunset Catamaran Sail
- Go paddle boarding or kayaking at Catseye beach
- Kids ATV course if its raining
- Hike to the top of Passage Peak for panoramic views
- Have cocktails or dinner without kids at Qualia Resort.
- Be prepared for rain - it rains almost every day there.
- You will have to wear stinger suits when snorkeling because of the irukandji jellyfish (but don't be scared we didn't see any)
- With kids its best to do the snorkeling tour to the Inner Reef - you will still feel like you're in a National Geographic special even if you don't go to the Outer Reef!
- Kids under 12 eat free at most of the restaurants.
- The main resort pools were not that great - stick to your villa pool.
To add a suggestion login or join