Saddlestring, Wyoming (Hf Bar)
HF Bar Ranch is a touchstone for generations of families, who tend to favor one week in the summer, so make your reservations early.
- More about your oliver guide: Cynthia Pillsbury
- Trip type: Family, Mountains
- Activity level: moderate
- Ideal length of trip: TRADITIONALLY DUDES (GUESTS) GO FOR ONE WEEK, HOWEVER IF YOU DON'T HAVE ENOUGH TIME OR ARE COMBINING WITH ANOTHER WESTERN LOCALE, 4-5 DAYS IS THE MINIMUM TO GET THE FULL EXPERIENCE.
to & from
HF Bar Ranch is in Saddlestring, WY. Options are to fly into Denver and then catch a smaller plane to Sheridan, WY or fly to Billings, Montana and drive 3+ hours to Ranch.
Where to Stay
Cozy, stream-side cottages complete with porches, electric blankets and cowboy chic decor.
Where to Eat and Drink
- Most Dude Ranches are all-inclusive; meaning breakfast, lunch and dinner are included in the price, (except for alcohol which you can buy on-site or stop at a liquor store and stock-up).
- At HF Bar they bring blocks of ice (complete with a ice-picker) to keep your favorite post-ride beverage cool as a cucumber.
- The food is delicious and there are always 2-3 options for lunch and dinner, so everyone will be happy... even vegetarians!
What to Do
- Ride, ride and ride some more. Most old-school Dude Ranches are still very much centered on riding. Other newer ranches seem to offer more activities.
- At HF Ranch, two daily rides (post breakfast and post dinner) are part of the cost, and the main activities offered.
- For those who love to shoot, there are a few shooting courses run by Richard who has been there as long as we have been going and is really gifted at teaching safety and skill to young shooters.
- Fishing is another activity people enjoy-- both fly fishing and fishing from a boat in a off-site reservoir.
- We tend to stick to riding and enjoy hiking in the afternoon (to burn off the delicious meals) while the kids play in the very simple pool.
- Thursday nights is the infamous square dance-- not to be missed.
- Bring cowboy boots that are worn in (there is a great spot to get second-hand boots in Buffalo, WY (closest town to the Ranch), you will want/need them.
- This is the perfect setting for a family reunion and/or going with just your family. There will always be interesting, fun families to meet.
- Check out the local Rodeo in Sheridan, we went once and that was enough, but glad we did it.
- HF Bar Ranch is a touchstone for generations of families, who tend to favor one week in the summer, so make your reservations early.
You don’t need a car once you are there.