La Quinta, California
I could write for days about La Quinta.
- More about your oliver guide: Katie Cranis
- Trip type: Family, Group getaway, Desert
- Activity level: easy
- Ideal length of trip: LONG WEEKEND TO A WEEK (BUT I COULD STAY A MONTH).
to & from
SFO to PSP on United, Virgin America/Alaska Airlines. Rent a car for sure, as you are 45 minutes from the airport.
Or, looking for save money? Fly Southwest into Ontario and rent a car, but it is about 1.5 hour drive to La Quinta.
Where to Stay
La Quinta Resort and Spa: Family friendly and dog friendly resort with 40 pools. La Quinta Resort leasing has some great options that allow full access to the resort. I personally love the Tennis Villas.
Where to Eat and Drink
Eating in La Quinta (and surrounding towns) is nothing like Palm Springs. You have to get used to the fact that most everything is located in a “strip mall.” I think you loose a little ambiance this way. There are a few restaurants on the property: They are not the BEST, but they are good!
- Adobe Grill: Mexican. Great outdoor seating and a patio with live music. LARGE margaritas, a basket of chips and homemade table side guacamole. Do I need to go on? Perfect family spot
- Morgans: Classic steakhouse. Love the outside patio by the fire pit. This is a good spot for adults only dinner.
- Lousie's Pantry: Local breakfast "joint"
- Cliffhouse: Built into the side of a small mountain, good food and a great outside space.
- Lavender Bistro: In old town La Quinta. Nice outdoor patio (I have a thing for outside patio's...)
- Grab a Date Shake at Shields Date Garden
- The Nest... Local, I mean local, piano bar. This is for the adults only, and is about 10 minutes from La Quinta in Indian Wells. Tim will sing all your favorites Tuesday- Saturday.
What to Do
- Shopping on El Paseo
- Farmers Market in old Town La Quinta: Sundays in October - May.
- Golf: Lots of local and close world class golf courses.
- Tennis: La Quinta Resort has clinics, 20 courts (clay and hard court) and some wonderful pros.
- The Living Desert: Great kids activity where they can feed a giraffe and ride a camel.