To think of all of the explorers, investors, royals, presidents, dignitaries and treasure hunters who have stayed in these rooms…..impressive and amazing.
- More about your oliver guide: Lindsi Bradbury
- Trip type: Family, City, Desert
- Activity level: moderate
- Ideal length of trip: 3-5 days
to & from
We flew Egypt Air Business (From Amman via Cairo to Luxor) With Business Class/First you are fast tracked for check in and clearing Customs, it was very helpful. Upon landing in Cairo we needed to go to the bank outside of customs and pay for our Visa upon arrival. We actually had already bought it online, but it was pending approval or something silly….so had to purchase it again.
- Also upon arrival - our bags came out in the international part of baggage claim, so just be aware of where your originating flight was from.
- In Egypt we had our Concierge arrange our airport transfers
Where to Stay
We stayed at the Sofitel Winter Palace Luxor in the Prestige Suite, two rooms connected with a drawing room and a large balcony overlooking the Nile and majestic views of Valley of Kings across from the Nile. We ended up taking most of our meals on the large balcony, it was stunning and perfect as it was still Covid times.
- The added beauty of the Winter Palace are the back gardens and gorgeous swimming pool, it provided us the perfect reprieve from our travels.
- To think of all of the explorers, investors, royals, presidents, dignitaries and treasure hunters who have stayed in these rooms…..impressive and amazing.
- This hotel feels like you have stepped back in time, the impressive stairs, the verandas the chandeliers, Situated on the Nile with a massive garden in back with a lovely pool and cabanas.
Where to Eat and Drink
Royal Bar at the Winter Palace- Enjoyed The West Sunset (Non-Alcoholic- Guava, Mango, OJ & Grenadine) and a Martini
1886 – Very formal French Restaurant, food was delicious.
KAM THAI for takeaway. Absolutely brilliant Thai food, the proprietor/chef is a lovey Thai lady, who’s an amazing chef. We stopped in and ordered and had it delivered to our hotel, as it’s a very tiny restaurant.
What to Do
Our Tour was arranged by Spring Tours, with private van transfer. Valley of the Kings, we viewed and walked into 3 tombs. Make sure to take extra Egyptian Pounds to pay the entrance for King Tutankhamun (tut) tomb and his Mummy, they only accept cash.
- Temple of Karnak
- Luxor Temple
- Temple of Hatshepsut at Deir el Bahari
- Karnak Open Air Museum
- Hot Air Balloon for sunrise, stunning!
I loved the time of the year were there, Mid-Feb, the temperatures were lovely and not sweltering hot. Be prepared to trek into the tombs, it can be quite a walk, and it seems to get hotter the deeper down you go.
We skipped all factory visits and we had our concierge suggest and then book a restaurant for lunch, as I am not a fan of tour lunches/dinners.