Malibu, California (Courtney Murphy)
Lounge on the beach, swim or hike to the top of Point Dume and look for whales!
- More about your oliver guide: Courtney Murphy
- Trip type: Family, Group getaway, Beach
- Activity level: moderate
- Ideal length of trip: A WEEKEND OR EVEN BETTER -1 WEEK
to & from
SFO- Virgin. However, if you live in Marin flying To/From Oakland is rarely ever delayed!
Where to Stay
Where to Eat and Drink
- OLLO serving Laird Hamilton's favorite breakfast.
- Lily's Malibu at Point Dume: The breakfast Burrito
- Malibu Sunlife Organics: The Bliss Bowl.
- Paradise Cove: Belgian waffles
- John's Garden: Order the the Princess Sandwich and the Carob shake!
- Tra Di Noi at the Malibu Country Mart: One of our favorite spots! Make sure to get a table outside and the kids can play on the playground while you enjoy a glass of wine.
- Cafe Habana: A regular spot for our family, Randy Gerber's spot at the Lumber Yard. Best margaritas chips and salsa.
- Malibu Farm: Dinner on the Malibu Pier!
What to Do
- Go whale watching perched at the top of Point Dume's picturesque lookout spot. Spot sea lions and watch for the whales to surface or spray.
- Surf lessons or Surf camp!
- Hike: La Jolla Canyon
- Beach: Westward or Zuma
Best beach day: head to Point Dume early and park in the Westward Beach Parking lot. From their you can lounge on the beach, swim or hike to the top of Point Dume and look for whales! In March and April the Mamas and babies are making their migration back from Mexico up to Alaska. Hike down the staircase and check out the tide pools at Big Dume. If you spend a week in the summer the best day camp is the Malibu Makos where the kids safely learn to surf at Zuma Beach. The Malibu Makos also offer private individual and family lessons.
Don’t go to Nobu on a Friday or Saturday. Yes the food is amazing but the tourist factor is high.
Check out OG co-founder Courtney Leary’s Malibu couples getaway guide here!