Palm Beach, Florida
- More about your oliver guide: Courtney Leary
- Trip type: Family, Beach
- Activity level: easy
- Ideal length of trip: A long weekend to a week.
to & from
- Easiest to fly into Fort Lauderdale.
- If you plan on staying in Palm Beach the entire time, a car is not necessary, but if you want to do any day trips, it is nice to have.
- The Breakers Palm Beach is ideal for families but not for the pocketbook. It is HUGE with numerous restaurants, pools, golf, tennis etc. and right on the beach with all the beach facilities you ever need. It is close to town. Note, this is also a private club that people can join so Palm Beach locals will be in and out as well.
- The Colony Palm Beach will not let you down if it is an authentic Palm Beach experience you crave. The decor is quintessential Palm Beach, and though at times you may feel like you are back at your grandmothers house, it serves the space and the spirit well. Rooms are small and old school. The location is ideal, walking distance to restaurants, shopping and the beach. There is a good pool, dogs are welcome, and new (ish) owners are doing all that they can to make this a great spot for families.
eat and drink
The Palm Beach social scene is based in private clubs so for the true experience, connect with a local and travel alongside. That said, there are plenty of restaurants to keep one happy and fed…
- Surfside Diner: Wonderful old-school diner, something for everyone-- tons of great salad options in addition to all of the usual diner fare.
- Pizza Alfresco: Great family spot with wonderful patio, good salads, pizza and gluten-free options.
- Renato's: Another great patio, upscale Italian. Great easy date night.
- Restaurants at the Breakers: The Breakers is home to multiple dining options open to the public including The Italian Restaurant which the kids will love for the arcade (and parents will both love and hate...), The Seafood Bar which is new(er) and overlooks the water and HMF, more for cocktails than food, a glamorous gathering spot for adults.
- Go to the beach!
- Shop! Favorite stores include: CJ Laing, Stubbs and Wootten, Island Company, Lily Pulitzer, Aristokids
- Walk, run or bike The Lake Trail that runs along the intercoastal water way.
- Visit the Flagler Mansion/Museum.