Paris, France (Nina Smallhorn)
Paris is always a good idea. — Audrey Hepburn
- More about your oliver guide: Nina Smallhorn
- Trip type: Family, City
- Activity level: moderate
- Ideal length of trip: NEVER ENOUGH TIME IN PARIS... 1 WEEK IS A MUST
to & from
The way to get to Paris is by train. Eurostar from London to Paris….DIVINE. Definitely spend a little more on the Premier seats with a meal. Views of the countryside are picturesque with little steeples and villages along specs of green.
Where to Stay
Le Saint Hotel: Family Rooms are beautifully appointed.
Where to Eat and Drink
- Cafe de Flore in St Germain for a Croque Monsieur.
- Chocolat Chaud anywhere and everywhere.
- Camille in the Marais.
- Drinks at Le Cafe Marly across from the Pyramids at the Louvre.
- Drinks in the newly refurbished Hemingway Bar at The Ritz.
What to Do
- Buy a Paris Pass. Allows access to most museums and sites. Offers fast track to many. Do note that once you activate it, the days are consecutive.
- Musee d'Orsay is closed on Monday and the Louvre closed on Tuesday.
- When traveling with young ones, plan on having a little down time or plenty of stops of Chocolat Chaud or Macaroons. There are Laudurees everywhere that can solve that.
- UBER is the best way to "cab" around. They are plentiful, affordable and very nice.
- Always try to speak French- even if you can't speak well.
- Greet everyone with a Bonjour Monsieur/Madame. Bon Soir and A bientot.
- Always keep you personal items close and zipped in.
- While the lights are festive at Christmas time, we much prefer visiting Paris in warmer weather when we can walk, walk walk and sit in the park with a ham and cheese baguette.