Sag Harbor-Hamptons, New York
We love going paddle boarding as a family on the bay in Sag Harbor.
- More about your oliver guide: Blythe Harris
- Trip type: Family, Beach
- Ideal length of trip: 5 DAYS
to & from
Fly into JFK and take the jitney, or Take the jitney from Manhattan. Rent a car (you likely will want one) at airport and head to the beach.
Where to Stay
- Barons Cove (Summer)- On the water with a pool, great bar and outdoor dining.
- The American (Winter) - Historic old hotel with a charming wood paneled bar.
Where to Eat and Drink
- The Beacon- right on the water, perfect for an adults night. Ask the bartender, Matty, for a Ruby Margarita.
- Murfs in Sag Harbor is a not-to-be-missed dive bar staple.
- Crows Nest In Montauk is a private beach on the bay where kids can explore while you wait for food.
- Town Line in Wainscott is perfect for kids and a casual night out.
- La Fondita in Amagansett has the best Mexican food. Try the tacos and the tostadas for lunch and let the kids run around the little lawn.
- We also love to take out lobster rolls from Fish Market in Sag Harbor and take them to Cameron Beach for a picnic.
- Sunset Beach on Shelter Island for cocktails and casual dinner-kids can play on the beach.
- Cavianolas in Sag Harbor- great takeaway salads and sandwiches.
- Bhudda Berry frozen yogurt shop in Sag Harbor is a crowd pleaser.
What to Do
- CMEE (Children's Museum of the East End) is a great resource-especially for an occasional rainy day.
- Barefoot Kids Camp is an adorable camp that takes campers by the week-very flexible and imagination based.
- We love going paddle boarding as a family on the bay in Sag Harbor.
- The Whaling Museum in Sag Harbor
- The John Jermain Library in Sag Harbor is really special, worth a visit.
- Cameron beach is the BEST beach!
- You need a parking pass to park at most beaches.
East Hampton is too crowded in August-skip it and go to Montauk, Amagansett or Sag Harbor instead.
For a crash course on where to eat, drink and be merry in Sag Harbor, check out OG mega-contributor, Sabrina’a guide to this lovely town.