San Francisco, California (Dennis Herrera)
For an ideal San Francisco day take a bus trip!
- More about your oliver guide: Dennis Herrera
- Trip type: Adult, Family, Group getaway, City
- Activity level: easy
- Ideal length of trip: 3-5 DAYS
to & from
- San Francisco is a United States gateway city and its airport is one of the busiest in the world. It is served by all major air carriers and is a major hub for United Airlines both domestically and internationally. United and its Star Alliance partners offer the most flight options.
- Uber and Lyft are everywhere but walk whenever you can! No need to rent a car while you are in The City.
Where to Stay
- My first hotel choice would be the Hotel Vitale. It is a boutique hotel located along the San Francisco waterfront. It is close to many attractions and destinations, offers great views and has outstanding food and beverage options. It also has an great spa on site.
- AirBnB and VRBO options are plentiful and in every neighborhood.
Where to Eat and Drink
- Sotto Mare in North Beach is an excellent Italian choice.
- Mister Jiu in Chinatown is great.
- Monsieur Benjamin in Hayes Valley offers wonderful food with a French flair.
- A great local favorite is La Ciccia. Sardinian cuisine and wine. In Noe Valley. It is a must.
- Gino and Carlo, Tony Nics and Tosca in North Beach.
- The Big Four on Nob Hill for an Old San Francisco feel.
- Bar Agricole in SOMA
- Trick Dog in The Mission for what is new in San Francisco!
What to Do
- Walk the Golden Gate Bridge and go to Alcatraz. Well worth it.
- Go to the Ferry Building Farmers Market on a Saturday morning.
- Go to the DeYoung and MOMA museums.
- SF is a city of neighborhoods. Walk them if you can! Chinatown, North Beach, The Mission, Union Square and Hayes Valley should top your list. NOPA along Divisadero Street, Fillmore and Sacramento streets are fun as well.
For an ideal San Francisco day take a bus trip! Get on the 22 Fillmore in The Marina. Get off on Fillmore street at Jackson, walk the neighborhood and have breakfast. Back on the bus and get off in The Mission for the afternoon and have lunch. Back on the 22 to the end in the newly bustling Dogpatch neighborhood. A couple of art galleries; a great martini from Veronica in the Dogpatch Saloon and dinner at Piccino. A great day and you have seen San Francisco from one end to the other!