Basque Country- San Sebastian, Spain
- More about your oliver guide: Honey Nachman
- Trip type: Adult, Beach
- Activity level: easy
- Ideal length of trip: 1 WEEK
to & from
- Fly to Bilbao through Paris-- allow for a longer layover in case of flight delays.
- Rent a car for Bilboa and San Sebastian but turn it in before Biarritz where parking is impossible and a car not necessary.
Where to Stay
- SAN SEBASTIAN: Hotel Maria Christina
Where to Eat and Drink
- Do a pinxto guided tour with San Sebastian Food located in the basement of the Hotel Maria Christina. A wonderful independent operation and will create amazing picnics for you or you can book cooking classes there--do NOT miss out on this.
- Extebarri -- We each had the tasting menu and were there from 1-4pm. An incredible place and experience. You need a reservation, about an hour outside of San Sebastian.
What to Do
- Between San Sebastian and Bilbao there is a beautiful hike along the Coastal Flysch Route but very hard to find the starting point so we would recommend getting a guide. Look at THIS for more information.
- Hike along the Camino de Santiago from San Sebastian to Pasajes de San Juan--3.5 hours long and absolutely gorgeous. Again, it was a little hard to find the entrance but ask your concierge and then ask the locals when you get close--THIS link gives helpful details-- (scroll down for hiking information.)
- If you want more structure, friends have done and recommended a similar trip through Backroads.