Sun Valley, Idaho (Megan Harvey)
The Sun Valley Lodge puts on a free performance of the Nutcracker on Christmas Eve. Its a fun festive evening, just make sure to dress warm.
- More about your oliver guide: Megan Harvey
- Trip type: Family, Mountains
- Activity level: high
- Ideal length of trip: LONG WEEKEND - 10 DAYS
to & from
Flights directly into Sun Valley are often diverted due to bad weather and can be limited depending on the season. More reliable are flights into Boise which is a 2.5/3 hour drive to Sun Valley.
Where to Stay
- VRBO or Airbnb in Ketchum or Elkhorn
- Sun Valley Lodge
- Sun Valley Inn
Where to Eat and Drink
- Grumpys -- classic SV spot, bar food, fun for apres
- Despos -- Mexican food
- Leftys - burgers and bar food. fun video games for the kids, fun for apres
- Wise guys - pizza
- The Pioneer -- another classic SV spot, no reservations so be ready to wait
- Ketchum Grill
- Sushi on 2nd
- Sawtooth Club
What to Do
- Ski Baldy or Dollar Mountain. (Dollar is best for beginners)
- X-Country Ski at Sun Valley National Recreation Area, north of town, Sun Valley Trail Creek area.
- Snowshoe - Galena Lodge has great well marked trails. Fun to x-country or snowshoe and then grab lunch at the cozy lodge. Fun little spot for the kids to sled.
- Over the Holidays make your ski school and dinner reservations ahead of time.
- The Sun Valley Lodge puts on a free performance of the Nutcracker on Christmas Eve. Its a fun festive evening, just make sure to dress warm.