Sun Valley, Idaho (Megan Harvey)
The Sun Valley Lodge puts on a free performance of the Nutcracker on Christmas Eve. Its a fun festive evening, just make sure to dress warm.
- More about your oliver guide: Megan Harvey
- Trip type: Family, Mountains
- Activity level: high
- Ideal length of trip: LONG WEEKEND - 10 DAYS
to & from
Flights directly into Sun Valley are often diverted due to bad weather and can be limited depending on the season. More reliable are flights into Boise which is a 2.5/3 hour drive to Sun Valley.
Where to Stay
- VRBO or Airbnb in Ketchum or Elkhorn
- Sun Valley Lodge
- Sun Valley Inn
Where to Eat and Drink
- Grumpys -- classic SV spot, bar food, fun for apres
- Despos -- Mexican food
- Leftys - burgers and bar food. fun video games for the kids, fun for apres
- Wise guys - pizza
- The Pioneer -- another classic SV spot, no reservations so be ready to wait
- Ketchum Grill
- Sushi on 2nd
- Sawtooth Club
What to Do
- Ski Baldy or Dollar Mountain. (Dollar is best for beginners)
- X-Country Ski at Sun Valley National Recreation Area, north of town, Sun Valley Trail Creek area.
- Snowshoe - Galena Lodge has great well marked trails. Fun to x-country or snowshoe and then grab lunch at the cozy lodge. Fun little spot for the kids to sled.
- Over the Holidays make your ski school and dinner reservations ahead of time.
- The Sun Valley Lodge puts on a free performance of the Nutcracker on Christmas Eve. Its a fun festive evening, just make sure to dress warm.
If you are seeking more scoop on Sun Valley check out Beth Scheer and Corre Larkin’s guides. Both Oliver Guide contributors, like Megan are frequent skiers and hikers in this beautiful mountain destination.