Kohala Coast, Hawaii (Big Island)
Everyone is happy when we are at the beach!
- More about your oliver guide: Courtney Leary
- Trip type: Family, Group getaway, Beach
- Activity level: easy
- Ideal length of trip: 5-7 DAYS
to & from
United direct flight from SFO to Kona. Unless you have access to a private option, direct is the way to go, be sure and fly into Kona and not Hilo.
Where to Stay
- A house in The Fairways at the Mauna Kea allowed us to use the amenities of the resort and the amazing beach but have the privacy and flexibility of a house.
- A less expensive alternative are the condos at Mauni Lani Point. These do not have access to the Mauna Kea beach but there is a smaller beach club within walking distance and almost all condominiums have an ocean view.
Where to Eat and Drink
- The Mauna Kea beachfront restaurant, Hau Tree for lunch… order a famous Frederico at the beachfront bar.
- The breakfast buffet at the Mauna Kea's upscale restaurant, Manta Restaurant is a must do at least once every trip.
- For date night, venture off “campus” to CanoeHouse at the Mauna Lani Hotel. Also recommend a trip to any of the restaurants at the Four Seasons Hualalai.
- Sushi with the kids at Monstera in the Shops at Mauna Lani no ocean views but great sushi in a kid friendly atmosphere.
- And our favorite meal of all, picking up fresh fish to grill at home from Da Fish House just down the road in Kawaihae.
What to Do
- Beach beach and more beach. The beach at the Mauna Kea is among the best on the island for families. It is big and long and protected.
- The Mauna Kea offers morning yoga on the beach for adults… a perfect way for mom and dad to start the day.
- The Big Island Luau held on the Mauna Kea Property was a favorite evening outing.
- Play Tennis on the Mauna Kea Courts, some even have an ocean view. Lessons and clinics available.
- The Mauna Kea Golf course is world renowned. Try it out.
- Shop the shops at The Four Seasons. Truly an incredibly curated assortment of apparel and accessories for both men and women.
- If renting a house or condominium, be sure and rent a car and stop at the grocery store on your way in, Foodland Farms in The Mauni Lani or Waikoloa Village Market.
- Stay within the Mauna Kea, Mauni Lani or Four Seasons resorts so that you have access to amenities. All offer hotels, condominium and home rentals.
What to Pack
Click to shop!