Kohala Coast, Hawaii (Big Island)
Everyone is happy when we are at the beach!
- More about your oliver guide: Courtney Leary
- Trip type: Family, Group getaway, Beach
- Activity level: easy
- Ideal length of trip: 5-7 DAYS
to & from
United direct flight from SFO to Kona. Unless you have access to a private option, direct is the way to go, be sure and fly into Kona and not Hilo.
Where to Stay
- A house in The Fairways at the Mauna Kea allowed us to use the amenities of the resort and the amazing beach but have the privacy and flexibility of a house.
- A less expensive alternative are the condos at Mauni Lani Point. These do not have access to the Mauna Kea beach but there is a smaller beach club within walking distance and almost all condominiums have an ocean view.
Where to Eat and Drink
- The Mauna Kea beachfront restaurant, Hau Tree for lunch… order a famous Frederico at the beachfront bar.
- The breakfast buffet at the Mauna Kea's upscale restaurant, Manta Restaurant is a must do at least once every trip.
- For date night, venture off “campus” to CanoeHouse at the Mauna Lani Hotel. Also recommend a trip to any of the restaurants at the Four Seasons Hualalai.
- Sushi with the kids at Monstera in the Shops at Mauna Lani no ocean views but great sushi in a kid friendly atmosphere.
- And our favorite meal of all, picking up fresh fish to grill at home from Da Fish House just down the road in Kawaihae.
What to Do
- Beach beach and more beach. The beach at the Mauna Kea is among the best on the island for families. It is big and long and protected.
- The Mauna Kea offers morning yoga on the beach for adults… a perfect way for mom and dad to start the day.
- The Big Island Luau held on the Mauna Kea Property was a favorite evening outing.
- Play Tennis on the Mauna Kea Courts, some even have an ocean view. Lessons and clinics available.
- The Mauna Kea Golf course is world renowned. Try it out.
- Shop the shops at The Four Seasons. Truly an incredibly curated assortment of apparel and accessories for both men and women.
- If renting a house or condominium, be sure and rent a car and stop at the grocery store on your way in, Foodland Farms in The Mauni Lani or Waikoloa Village Market.
- Stay within the Mauna Kea, Mauni Lani or Four Seasons resorts so that you have access to amenities. All offer hotels, condominium and home rentals.