Wadi Rum , Jordan
You’ll understand why Wadi Rum is such a Mecca for movie making.
- More about your oliver guide: Lindsi Bradbury
- Trip type: Adult, Family, Group getaway, Solo, Desert, Mountains
- Activity level: moderate
- Ideal length of trip: Two Nights
to & from
We flew in to Amman and had a private transfer for the week we were in Jordan. Our driver was recommended to us from our British Embassy friends. Upon arrival to Wadi Rum, you can drive all the way into the camp or you can be dropped off at the camp parking lot and there will be an open air (seen better days) Landrover / pickup truck that arrives and off you go on a bumpy, windy and fun ride into the desert to the Camp. The colors are amazing.
Where to Stay
Recommended by friends——Wadi Rum Bubble Lux Camp – stayed in the King Bubble Suite (this camp has an outdoor hot tub for most of the tents)
Literally you live in a a big air bubble, pretty fun and a bonus to have heat when the temps drop significantly in the desert when the sun sets. (We were there in Feb)
Where to Eat and Drink
Most camps are all inclusive. Standard Middle Eastern, European and Asian food.
Upon asking when cocktail hour was, we were told tea and coffee were complementary all day, and soft drinks were to be paid separately… Note to the more wise traveler: Most of these camps are managed by the Bedouin, so most are dry. So if you must have a nightly glass of wine or digestive, BYO.
What to Do
- A “Movie” tour on a 4 x 4. The boys think this was one of the best tours ever, the 4 x 4 experience was awesome, thrilling, and downright scary at times. Better than a roller coaster. And then to see the different areas that were used for on location movies… a few to boot The Martian, Transformers, Star Wars … for more information on which films check out this website.
- Camel Back rides through the desert, or for sundown.
- Hikes up and around the camp, amazing for the sunset.
Most of the camps are run by The Bedouin, so no alcohol. Recommend to grab a bottle of wine duty free at the airport.
What to Pack
Favorite Luggage – Rimowa
Definitely have a scarf, it can be a very chilly and windy drive in the 4 x 4, and dusty if you hit a sandstorm
I lived in my Tods Sneakers and Cotes of London down and Cotes Cashmere hoodies.
To add a suggestion login or join